Saturday, July 11, 2009

Week 8!!

These are some miscellaneous pictures from the last week or so here. Just a bunch of different places I've wandered around to!

The most fashionable place to be on a Saturday.
And the most colorful and crowded!!!! It is almost sad to see posh Notting Hill invaded by tourists like this.

Portobello market.
Where Hugh Grant 'worked' in the Notting Hill movie!!!!
Cute!
Down in Angel this is a little hidden hole in the wall kitch place and its absolutely delish. 80's retro inside, neon string lights, 2 for 1 happy hour 7-8 daily. its by far one of the best unknown places in London.

Meryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From Love, Actually....Hugh Grant as president...what a hoot!

Sherlock Holmes' desk.
Sherlock Holmes' house from the movie set.

Alfred is on the banner to get into this place and this is all there is in the entire museum about him.....I felt quite jipped.
Russell Crowe wore these clothes in Gladiator!!! yum.



I've again forgot to say where this is. The Movieum is in County Hall down in Westminister. All of these are original set pieces, costumes etc. donated after the movies have wrapped. Its set up like a walk-through on making a movie so its pretty neat! This is original blue prints for Wayne Mansion for the Tim Burton Batman movie.
Papers used in the Superman movies a la Christopher Reeves.


Worn by Mr. Reeves himself. I really enjoyed this movie because I'm half a set beyond obsessed with movies....if I wasn't I don't know if it would have been worth the admission price.

In the animation gallery they have all of these different wall sketches for sale. very pricey though since they are originals from the artists that created the cartoons.
A negative exposure of film negatives in edit.

Editing. I actually know how to do that but we are all digital in my office. So its much easier but totally not as interesting to look at!

Alien! What is really great about this place was that there are so many influential people in Hollywood who are British. Which is how they snagged such great pieces like all of the aliens from Ridley Scott's work....or got Russell crowe to snag his gear for them from gladiator (also ridley scott)....or an entire room dedicated to harry potter pieces or Excalibur. etc.
Tri-Wizard Tournament cup. Golden Egg.

The Nimbus 2000!!!!!!!! and Ron's wand.
Animatronics.


Make-up.
Hermione's school outfit and trunk. Love her sauciness. Danni and I are going to see on of the first showings of the new movie THIS THURSDAY. we've been super pumped to see Harry Potter in London.!

Homage to James Bond.

I don't like Star Wars all that much but I thought that they were cool.

These are just from the County Hall the museum was in. There is also a modern art exhibit and the London Aquarium in the hall.


Royal Mail!

USA!!!! Space Shuttle
This is the space celebration in the Science Museum. Also part of the larger exhibit to celebrate 100 years of science.

Apparently they make this out of F1 technology.
Old School Energy.
That is some giant wheel where in an exhibit upstairs you can type in a message and it digitally sends it around the wheel. Honestly I enjoyed all the historic originals they had but most of the modern stuff seemed pointless to me....as most of the newer technology things always do.

Down on the Southbank.

I never get tired of seeing views like this.

Freighter!!!! I got all excited because I thought something bigger than a tour boat was going through the Thames.....but its permanently anchored.

View in the British library.

View of the library through the above picture. This is approximately 5 minutes from my house. Which sounds excited since I have an immense love of literature.....but this is about all you can see without a pass so I haven't spent much time in there.




I can't believe I only have 7 days left. I will be on a plane coming into home this time next week. That is so incredibly exciting because after 2 months I really start to crave home. But its so depressing too because my heart will break a little bit when I leave London. I'll miss getting up early to go to the markets then spending the rest of the day reading and people watching in the park. I'll miss going to get things like organic green tea frozen yogurt with all of the lovely people I've met here. I'll miss just being able to walk into a museum or cultural event without having to pay. I'll miss all of the frusterations and laughs that come from taking public transportation any and everywhere. I've luckily made some excellent friends that I hadn't known from my uni so that will be something wonderful to take away. But over dinner tonight we were discussing how even though we can all get together and still stay in touch it won't be the same without the lovely London vibe we have become accustom to. No more Indian food dinners, organic deserts, or going to the West end.
Still I'm so excited for the last week because it promises to be my most exciting and busy one at work yet and because as much as I'll miss it it will be nice slowly saying goodbye for now to the city. <3>

No comments: